City of Tampa Department of Parks and Recreation Host Stay & Play for the Fourth Year
This summer, starting May 25th, select recreation centers around the City of Tampa will hold extended hours. These extended hours will provide teens with free Rec Cards, which allows access to these recreation centers, different programs to participate in, and a variety of educational events. Since the inception of our Stay & Play Program, over 100,000 teens have visited our various centers and pools. Stay & Play aims to provide teens a place to be active, safe, and healthy. Food will be provided for free as well as transportation home when available from the Parks and Recreation Department.
Programs provided range from fitness classes, swimming classes, athletic training/leagues, Girls Fun Friday, music production classes, computer classes, anger management classes, and many more. Our valued community partners Friends of Tampa Recreation, Safe and Sound of Hillsborough County, Computer Mentors, Derrick Brooks Charities, East Tampa Initiative, Springfield College Mentors, Alpha Phi Alpha Men of Tomorrow, and The Skills Center will assist with the programming offered this summer.
The locations participating in Stay & Play this summer that will remain open until midnight, 7 days a week are:
- Copeland Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Cyrus Greene Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Desoto Community Center (Spicola pool will remain open until 10PM)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Williams Park-Activity Center (Pool remains open until 10PM)
- Grant Park Activity Center
- Gwendolyn Miller Community Center
- Jackson Heights Community Center
- Springhill Community Center
Other events that will be held during Stay & Play are:
- Skating Field Trip
- Teen Court
- Anti-Bullying Lectures
- Stranger/Danger Program by TPD
- Speakers including former and current athletes, TDP, local businesses, Fire Department, and Parks and Recreational Staff
- Future Leaders Training which includes resume preparation, interviewing skills, and educational opportunities
We encourage others to join us in participating in what is sure to be another successful year of Stay & Play. If interested in volunteering please contact the Parks and Recreational Department or visit one of the participating Stay & Play sites for further information.