Consumer Alert about Offers for In-Home Water Testing
The Tampa Water Department would like to make customers aware that private businesses will periodically make telephone calls and door-to-door solicitations claiming they can improve the quality and safety of your water through the use of water treatment systems. The Tampa Water Department is not affiliated with any private water treatment company and does not endorse the use of any specific water treatment system.
“The City of Tampa constantly tests and treats your water to ensure that it exceeds all federal and state standards for safe drinking water,” said Chuck Weber, Water Department Director. “Each year we mail out a comprehensive water quality report to our customers explaining how we keep Tampa's water safe. This report provides detailed information about compounds detected in Tampa's drinking water. This year's report is being distributed throughout this month.”
In the meantime, customer may take the following precautions:
- Do not fall victim to scare tactics.
- Do not get pressured into making a hurried purchase decision.
- Be careful who you let into your home. All City of Tampa employees have city-issued photo identification.
- Be careful with credit card or other personal information.
- Be suspicious if you are told that an in-home test has detected pollution or contamination in your water.
If you are a City of Tampa Water Department customer and have any questions about your water quality, call us at (813) 274-8811, option #3, or visit TampaGov.net/WaterQuality to view the most recent Water Quality Report.