Convenience Store Fire Ruled Arson

This notice is archived content and this information may no longer be accurate.

DATE/TIME: Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:18 a.m.

LOCATION: Family Super Store, 3623 North 22nd Street, Tampa


Tampa Fire Marshal investigators and Tampa Police detectives have ruled this morning's blaze at a local convenience store an arson. The preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect(s) burglarized the business and then set it on fire in an attempt to conceal the burglary.

Investigators and detectives are asking for the public's help in identifying the suspect(s) in this case. Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS (8477) or text "CSTB plus your tip" to 274637 (CRIMES). Anonymous tips leading to an arrest may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000 in cash.

Janelle McGregor

***Previous Release from Tampa Fire Rescue***

October 17, 2013 at 0118hrs. Tampa Fire Rescue crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire located at East Lake Avenue and North 22nd Street. Tampa Fire crews arrived on scene to find a one-story convenience store with heavy smoke coming from the doors and roof of the structure. Tampa firefighters had to force entry through several doors to make access into the building. Due to the fire's intensity and deteriorating fire conditions initial fire crews called for a second alarm as they began make an attack on the fire. Once inside, crews encountered very hot temperatured conditions and found the fire to be deep-seated towards the rear of the structure. TFR crews battled the blaze for 30 minutes before declaring it under control. Firefighters remained on scene for approximately three and a half hours mopping up hot spots. The Family Super Store, located at 3623 North 22nd Street sustained significant damages throughout. There is no estimated property and damage loss figure at this time, as the fire's cause and origin is under investigation by Tampa Fire Marshal investigators. Tampa Fire Rescue responded to this incident with approximately 50 firefighters. There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters.