Improvements Coming Kennedy Boulevard / Jackson Street and Nebraska Avenue in Downtown Tampa
Starting Wednesday, November 15, the Florida Department of Transportation’s contractor, Preferred Materials, Inc., will begin repaving approximately 1.2 miles of SR 60 (Kennedy Boulevard/Jackson Street) andUS Business 41 (Nebraska Avenue) in Downtown Tampa.
Other improvements include:
- Adding a new traffic signal with pedestrian crossing at Jackson St. and Governor St.
- Changing the number of travel lanes and on-street parking spaces at select locations
- Adding a new two-way protected bike lane (cycle track) along Jackson Street
- Improving access to transit stops along Jackson Street
- Upgrading sidewalks and curb ramps
Construction activities will occur in segments:
- Kennedy Boulevard from Brevard Street to Ashley Drive
- Ashley Drive from Kennedy Boulevard to Jackson Street
- Jackson Street from Ashley Drive to Meridian Avenue
- Nebraska Avenue from Jackson Street to Kennedy Boulevard
- Kennedy Boulevard from Nebraska Avenue to Meridian Avenue
Over the coming weeks, work will occur on eastbound Kennedy Boulevard towards Ashley Drive and continue along Jackson Street as crews perform drainage and sidewalk construction.
As part of the improvements, starting Monday, November 20, parking spaces along the north side of Jackson Street from Ashley Drive to Nebraska Avenue will be permanently blocked and eliminated. These permanent closures areto facilitate the construction of the new two-way protected bike lane (cycle track) along Jackson Street.
Construction activities are occurring during daytime and nighttime hours. Access to driveways and side streets are being maintained. Nightly lane closures are anticipated from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
For more information, visit www.FDOTtampabay.com
The $5.7 million project is expected to finish in the summer of 2018.