Mayor Buckhorn to Host "Super" Enrollment Events in Affordable Health Care - Weekend opportunities for hundreds to enroll in Affordable Care Act
Mayor Bob Buckhorn announced that the City of Tampa would host seven "super" enrollment events at City of Tampa Parks and Recreation Centers throughout the City as part of ongoing efforts to assist the Department of Health and Human Services in enrolling residents for affordable health care coverage.
"With over 90,000 citizens of Tampa without healthcare, this is an economic and a quality of life issue for our friends, neighbors, and family members. All of us pay when an uninsured person walks into an emergency room with a chronic illness that could have been treated earlier and cheaper," said Mayor Bob Buckhorn. “We all benefit when our community is healthier."
Super Enrollment Weekend Events
Residents interested in affordable health care options are encouraged to walk in. At each "super" enrollment event, more than 10 navigators will be on hand in each recreation center, and are expected to sign up all who attend. Residents are encouraged to bring Social Security numbers; Birth dates; Pay stubs, W-2 forms; Policy numbers for any current health insurance; Information about any health insurance you or your family could get from your employer.
- Saturday, March 1, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Hunt Center at Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave
- Saturday, March 8, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Jackson Heights Center, 3310 E Lake Ave
- Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Hunt Center at Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave
- Saturday, March 15, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Springhill Center, 1000 E Eskimo
- Sunday, March 16, 2014, 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Springhill Center, 1000 E Eskimo
- Saturday, March 22, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Port Tampa Center, 4702 W McCoy St
- Saturday, March 29, 2014, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Hunt Center at Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave
No appointment is necessary. The media are also invited to attend any of the weekend enrollment events.
On-Going Week Day Availability
Navigators will continue to be available from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on select dates during the week through the enrollment deadline of March 31, 2014.
- Springhill Center, 1000 E Eskimo - Mondays
- Loretta Ingraham Center, 1615 N Hubert Ave - Tuesdays
- Jackson Heights Center, 3310 E Lake Ave - Tuesdays
- Hunt Center at Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave - Wednesdays
- Gwen Miller Center, 6410 N 32nd St - Wednesdays
- Cyrus Greene Center, 2101 E Dr. MLK Jr Blvd - Thursdays
- Forest Hills Center, 724 W 109th Ave - Thursdays
- Port Tampa Center, 4702 W McCoy St - Thursdays
- Copeland Park Center, 11001 N 15th St - Fridays
These 9 centers were chosen because they are the busiest centers in the City of Tampa. Please note that to visit with a navigator at each center, residents do not need to have a Rec Card. For more information, call (813) 422-4917.
In Tampa, 96,000 of our residents are uninsured, as are more than 200,000 residents in Hillsborough County.
For more information about the Affordable Care Act and to view a list of other places to get covered, please visit healthcare.gov.