Tampa Police and Partners Discuss Gasparilla Invasion/Parade
View the news conference on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TampaPD/videos/1364017053670490/
DETAILS: Over the past seven years, TPD officers have provided educational presentations on the Zero-Tolerance program to nearly 60,000 students and military personnel. This year, TPD has more than 24 presentations to schools and groups. The Zero Tolerance program is designed and funded by our numerous community partners including Pepin Distributing, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, and the Tampa Alcohol Coalition.
The Tampa Police Department relies on generous community partners to make the Zero Tolerance education campaign a success each year: Hillsborough County Public Schools, EventFest, Tampa Preparatory Academy, Tampa Alcohol Coalition, University of Tampa, Hillsborough Community College, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and Pepin Distributing. Representatives from these groups as well as Tampa Fire Rescue and the U.S. Coast Guard will be present at the news conference to answer questions.
- Officers have presented the Zero Tolerance message to Hillsborough County High School students
- Households with a high school aged child have received a recorded phone message from Mayor Buckhorn and Superintendent Jeff Eakins advising parents of our zero tolerance policy.
OPEN CONTAINER—CITY ORDINANCE
Our goal is to make Gasparilla safe and fun with no arrests. Adults with open containers of alcohol in unauthorized areas will receive a citation:
- $75 for first offense
- $150 for second offense
- $300 third offense
- $450 for fourth offense
- The City of Tampa website (TampaGov.net/Gasparilla) has information on the parade route, parking, etc.
- Using your smart phone, you can receive event updates and notices of traffic issues. Just text the word Gasparilla to 888777. That will sign you up for updates sent directly to your phone.
- Plan your day in advance. If you know where you’re going to park and your route, it can save you time.
- Once you arrive, pick a meeting place so if you become separated, you have a place to meet. Text your parking location to your smartphone as a reminder of where you parked.
- The Crosstown Expressway is a great route to take. There are convenient exits to the parade routes (beginning, middle and end)
- Wet zones include the parade route and Curtis Hixon Park.
Our goal is to make Gasparilla safe and fun with no arrests. We want people to leave with beads around their neck – not with handcuffs around their wrists.
TPD WISHES TO THANK THE 21 LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES THAT ARE ASSISTING AT GASPARILLA
- Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office
- Temple Terrace Police
- USF Police
- St. Petersburg Police
- Clearwater Police
- New Port Richey Police
- Tarpon Springs Police
- Lakeland Police
- Bradenton Police
- Sarasota Police
- Polk County Sheriff’s Office
- Manatee County Sheriff’s Office
- Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office
- Pasco County Sheriff’s Office
- Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office
- Florida Highway Patrol
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Florida Wildlife Commission
- State Fire Marshall
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- The FBI