Tampa Police Charged Dad of Murdered Infant with Child Neglect

This notice is archived content and this information may no longer be accurate.

Date/Time: January 5, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.

Location: 1204 East Emma Street, Tampa

Victim #1: Markala Thompson, B/F, DOB: 7/22/10, 922 East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Tampa

Suspect: Marcus Harden, B/M, DOB: 12/13/72, 922 East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Tampa


Tampa Police Detectives have charged the father of a murdered four-month old girl with child neglect. Detectives have determined through their investigation that Marcus Harden was neglectful when he left Markala Thompson alone with her mother who was not allowed to be unsupervised with the child. Detectives learned the mother was living in the home with the children despite the court order. A warrant was issued for Harden's arrest on January 5, 2011. Police located him at a home located at 1204 East Emma Street and took him into custody without incident.

On December 14, 2010 Harden left his infant daughter in her mother's care. He was aware that the child's mother, Eboni Thompson, was not allowed to be left unsupervised with any of the children living at the home. While Harden was away from the home, Thompson choked the crying infant until she stopped breathing. After a thorough investigation detectives arrested Thompson on December 17, 2010 and charged her with First Degree Murder and two counts of Aggravated Child Abuse.

Janelle McGregor
Public Information Office

***Previous Release***

Mother Charged with the Murder of her Infant Daughter

INCIDENT DATE/TIME: 12/14/2010, 8:11 pm

LOCATION: 922 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. East, Tampa

VICTIM: Markala Thompson, DOB: 7-22-10, B/F, 922 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. East, Tampa

SUSPECT: Eboni Shameeca Thompson, DOB: 1/1/79, 1813 B East 28th Avenue, Tampa

CHARGES: First Degree Murder, Aggravated Child Abuse with Great Bodily Harm, Aggravated Child Abuse.

Father: Marcus L. Harden, DOB: 12-13-72, B/M, 922 East Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

DETAILS: The father returned home from a short 15-20 minute trip to the store and the mother was holding the child on the couch. A short time later the mother placed the infant in her bassinet. When the father checked on the child, he discovered she was not breathing and called 911.The baby was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital where efforts to revive her were unsuccessful. When police arrived at the apartment, the mother fled because she does not have custody of her daughter nor is she allowed unsupervised visits. Detectives tracked down the mother and interviewed her on the night of her child's death. They interviewed her again the following day and a then a third time today after they received the preliminary medical examiner's report. The mother confessed to choking her baby until she stopped crying and eventually stopped breathing. She pretended the child was still alive when the father returned home. The autopsy showed multiple broken ribs and a broken arm. The mother admitted to abusing the child several times over the last four months. Four other children who were living with the father are now in the custody of the Department of Children and Families. The other children are three girls ages 17, 6, 4 and a 21 month old boy. Detectives continue to investigate possible charges against the father for leaving the children with the mother unsupervised.

Laura McElroy