Tampa Police Investigate Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
WHEN: 9/1/11, 9:25 a.m.
WHERE: 5207 Cypress Palms Lane, Vista Grande Apartments
A maintenance worker smelled an odor outside building 900 of the Vista Grande Apartments shortly after 9:00 a.m. He recognized the odor and immediately began evacuating residents while the manager called 911. Tampa Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported three victims to University Community Hospital. A 23-year-old female victim has died. A 20-year-old female victim is in serious condition. A 62-year-old woman who was feeling light headed was transported as a precaution. She is in stable condition. Captain Lonnie Bennefield of TFR is on scene speaking with the media.
Tampa Police Detectives have determined the owner of a 2011 gray, 5-door Mazda 3 left his car running in the garage. The first two victims lived in a downstairs apartment adjacent to the garage. The third victim, who suffered minor injuries, lived in an upstairs apartment.
The detectives are investigating to determine if a crime has occurred or if this incident is a tragic accident. Next of kin notification has not been made at this time. More details will be released, as they become available.
The above notice is archived content and may contain information that is no longer valid. This includes URL's that were valid when originally published, but may now link to sites or pages that no longer exist.