Construction Site Safety Program
COVID-19 Response: Construction Site Safety Initiative
- Hillsborough County issued a Safer at Home Order effective March 27, followed by a statewide order effective April 3.
- Allows for essential services to continue which includes infrastructure and construction activities.
- Development Services Center became ‘virtual’ on 3/17/20; including inspections via digital methods or affidavit of compliance
- For large construction sites, initiated additional protective measures.
- Purpose is to keep workers SAFE, HEALTHY, and WORKING and prevent workers from contracting COVID-19 while at the workplace.
- Guidelines are based upon CDC recommendations
- Designate a “COVID-19 Compliance Coordinator”
- Present at all times during work hours, visibly identifiable (uniform, vest or helmet) and accessible to all workers, as well as City of Tampa officials, during work hours.
- Must maintain a MINIMUM of 6 FEET SEPARATION BETWEEN PERSONNEL AT ALL TIMES. If a task or activity requires closer contact amongst personnel, the task must be POSTPONED, or redesigned
- Must have portable handwashing and/or hand sanitizer stations located in convenient locations.
- Must prominently post CDC-approved COVID-19 informational materials in English & Spanish.
- Construction trailers ≤50% occupancy at all times
- Construction-grade gloves must be worn at all times
- Food trucks must be located outside the perimeter; On-site food service is prohibited.
- Must maintain site access controls and staff screening protocols for COVID19 symptoms.
Occupational Safety Site Inspections
- All sites are subject to unannounced spot-check inspection by an authorized occupational safety medical practitioner
- Evaluate compliance with CDC guidelines and Threshold Building Construction Site Guidelines
- Individuals who fail to comply or are exhibiting “risky” behaviors that can lead to transmission of COVID-19 may be immediately removed from the job site.
- Medical Director retained
- 20-25 licensed medical practitioners inspecting 52 job sites 2-3 times/week
- Costs paid by developers
- In effect as long as ‘Stay at Home’ orders are in effect
- Commenced week of April 6, 2020