Returning this summer, starting May 31st, select recreation centers around the City of Tampa will hold extended hours. These extended hours will provide teens with free Rec Cards, which allows access to these recreation centers, different programs to participate in, and a variety of educational events. Since the inception of our Stay & Play Program, over 250,000 teens have visited our various centers and pools. Stay & Play aims to provide teens a place to be active, safe, and healthy. Food will be provided for free as well as transportation home when available from the Parks and Recreation Department. Thank you to our contributors, Friends of Recreation, Chick-Fil-A and Westshore Pizza.
Our Stay and Play program provides a broad range of programs dedicated to helping young adults uncover real-life skills needed to achieve great success, and enjoying classes and activities such as: Computer coding classes, Teen inter-mural sports, Athletic training/ leagues, Fun Fridays, Music production classes, Anger management classes, and many more. Our valued community partners are Friends of Tampa Recreation, Safe and Sound of Hillsborough County, Computer Mentors, Derrick Brooks Charities, East Tampa initiate, Professional Mentor and Mentees, Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha Men of Tomorrow, and a host of other agencies committed to empowering our youth of tomorrow.
The locations participating in Stay & Play this summer that will remain open until midnight, 7 days a week are:
- Copeland Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Cyrus Greene Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Desoto Community Center (Spicola pool will remain open until 8PM Monday – Thursday & 10PM on Friday and Saturday)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center (Pool remains open until 8PM on select days)
- Grant Park Activity Center
- Gwendolyn Miller Community Center
- Jackson Heights Community Center
- Springhill Community Center
- Williams Park Pool will remain open until 8PM, Monday – Thursday & 10PM on Friday and Saturday
Other events that will be held during Stay & Play are:
- Skating Field Trip
- Teen Court
- Anti-Bullying Lectures
- Speakers including former and current athletes, TPD, local businesses, Fire Department, and Parks and Recreational Staff
- Fashion Shows
- Athletic Events
- End of Summer Party
- Recording Studio
- Future Leaders Training which includes resume preparation, interviewing skills, and educational opportunities
We encourage others to join us in participating in what is sure to be another successful year of Stay & Play. If interested in volunteering please contact the Parks and Recreational Department or visit one of the participating Stay & Play sites for further information.
Ashley Bauman, Marketing & Communications Director