The Department of Solid Waste & Environmental Program Management operates an annual budget of $134 million supported by 215 personnel to provide environmentally safe, time responsive, and cost effective collection, disposal, and recycling services for nearly 90,000 residential and commercial customers in the City of Tampa.
Brief History – Evolution of Significant Events
- 1927 The Sanitation Department was established to provide collection and disposal services for all residential and commercial customers within the City of Tampa.
- 1967 The Tampa incinerator was built. Until this point in time, refuse collection was largely a manual process, and disposal was primarily by means of landfilling.
- 1979 The Tampa incinerator was closed, and the McKay Bay Refuse-to-Energy Facility was built; beginning operation in 1985.
- 1998 The McKay Bay Refuse-to-Energy Facility received a complete retrofit as required to meet environmental air compliance standards mandated by EPA.
- 2005 Solid Waste began the 5-year transition to fully-automated service. Solid Waste customers received one blue 95-gallon cart per household and the corresponding fully-automated collection vehicles were ordered.
- 2008 The Department transitioned to single-stream residential recycling.
- 2009 A new holiday collection schedule was implemented. Make-up collection days following single-day observed holidays were discontinued.
- 2010 Marked the completion of the following long-term initiatives:
- Completed transition to fully-automated service
- Completion of the first major rerouting initiative since 1986
- Launched the new “Service Day” schedule for residential customers
- 2013 Implemented Citywide residential “Automated Carted Recycling” program.
- 2013 Introduced Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) collection vehicles in to the Solid Waste fleet.
- 2014 Installed GPS and RFID technology on solid waste trucks.
- 2015 Completed Automated Carted Recycling Program. Customers received one green 95-gall cart per household.
- 2016 Began the transition to a more efficient, convenient utility management and billing system, Cayenta UMS.
Major Duties, Services, and Programs
- Quality Control
- Urban Environmental Coordination
- Audits and Contracts
- Assets and Facilities Management