8 Things to Know about Irrigating New Lawns and Landscape
- The establishment period starts on the date of installation and is limited to 60 calendar days.
- Day 1: Newly installed lawns and landscape materials may be irrigated immediately following installation regardless of the time of day.
- Day 2 – Day 30: New plant materials may be watered any day before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Day 31 – Day 60: Even numbered addresses may water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Odd numbered addresses may water on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Irrigation must occur before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- To operate a zone to establish new lawns and landscaping, new plant material must cover at least 50% of the zone or zones being operated.
- Following the 60-day period, irrigation allowances return to a maximum of twice a week, by address, before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Although you may use up to 60 days to establish new lawns, University of Florida research has demonstrated that 30 days of scheduled watering are adequate to properly establish sod.
- Using the University of Florida/IFAS 30-day Establishment Schedule is estimated to reduce the amount of water to establish 5,000 sq. ft. of sod by 50 percent or more.