8 Things to Know about Irrigating New Lawns and Landscape
- The establishment period starts on the date of installation and is limited to 60 calendar days.
- Day 1: Newly installed lawns and landscape materials may be irrigated immediately following installation regardless of the time of day.
- Day 2 – Day 30: New plant materials may be watered any day before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Day 31 – Day 60: Even numbered addresses may water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Odd numbered addresses may water on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Irrigation must occur before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- To operate a zone to establish new lawns and landscaping, new plant material must cover at least 50% of the zone or zones being operated.
- Following the 60-day period, irrigation allowances return to a maximum of twice a week, by address, before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m.
- Although you may use up to 60 days to establish new lawns, University of Florida research has demonstrated that 30 days of scheduled watering are adequate to properly establish sod.
- Using the University of Florida/IFAS 30-day Establishment Schedule is estimated to reduce the amount of water to establish 5,000 sq. ft. of sod by 50 percent or more.
Restriction enforcement for Tampa water customers located in unincorporated Hillsborough County is provided by the County. To view similiar information regarding establishment allowances for new lawns and landscape, visit HillsboroughCounty.org and search "water restrictions."