Portable Meter Guidelines
Water service from a fire hydrant is provided to meet needs of a temporary nature only, such as construction or other similar need, as approved by the Director or his designee. The initial term of service is six (6) months, with extensions of three (3) months. Extensions must be requested in writing before the expiration of the current term.
Applicant must submit a written application and pay a $700 deposit along with a $60 installation fee for each portable meter. Applications are approved subject to the following conditions:
- Only Water Department personnel are authorized to install, move, or remove portable meters from fire hydrants. It is against the law for anyone other than authorized personnel to use unmetered water from a city fire hydrant.
- The customer of record is liable for any damages to or theft of Water Department property and equipment, and, as such, agrees to pay all charges in connection with repairing or replacing Water Department property or equipment.
- The City is not responsible for accident or injury caused by unauthorized placement of a portable meter or other appurtenances.
- Portable meters may be used for service from hydrants only. No installations will be made on trucks. No Private Meters may be installed on city hydrants.
- For portable meters to be used to fill tanks, wet wells or any high hazard area, as determined by the Water Department, the following is required:
- An approved backflow prevention device must be installed at applicant’s expense. Installation is subject to Water Department inspection and approval.
- The device shall be tested at the time of installation by a certified backflow prevention device technician. Water may not be drawn from the installation until the Water Department has received formal written notification that the test indicates the devices is operating properly.
- All requests for installations, moves and removals of portable meters must be e-mailed to PortableHydrantMeter@TampaGov.net. Installation, move and removal requests are scheduled within two (2) business days. When removal of a portable meter is requested, the customer will receive a confirmation number. Charges for water consumption and meter rental remain in effect until the written request for removal is received and a confirmation number is issued.
- All questions regarding the bill including charges, account maintenance, rates, deposit on file, fees, etc. should be directed to PortableHydrantBills@TampaGov.net.
- A portable meter will be removed without notice when:
- The meter is used, for any reason, as a permanent meter to avoid payment of fees for permanent service.
- No water consumption is registered for a period of three (3) consecutive months.
- Due to non-payment.
A deposit refund can be processed when a written removal request is on file and the meter has been removed. The deposit will be applied against the final charges on the account.
Potable Meter Service Fees
Consumption Charges (includes Utility Tax)
Deposit = $700.00
Per One Hundred Cubic Feet (CCF) = $ 1.20
Installation = 60.00
Minimum Monthly Charge (less than 10 CCF) = 10.00
Relocation = 60.00
Meter rental, per day = 2.00 (tax included)
Any inquiry regarding portable meters, including relocations and pick-ups, please contact us at: PortableHydrantMeter@tampagov.net