Water Department Fast Facts
- Single Family Residential Accounts = ~117,000
- Multi-Family Residential Accounts = ~2,000
- Non-Residential Accounts = ~14,000
- Service Population = ~600,000
Our Production Process
- The David L. Tippin Water Treatment Facility has the capacity to produce up to 120 million gallons of drinking water daily.
- Average daily demand is 77 million gallons a day.
- About 20 percent of daily demand is used for irrigation, about 35% goes to household use, about 35% is used commercially and the balance is used for health and safety purposes (fire suppression).
- When "excess" water is available, up to 1 billion gallons is stored in our Aquifer Storage and Recovery System for later use.
- More than 10,000 samples are analyzed annually during the production process to ensure the delivery of water water that meets or exceeds federal and state standards.
- At the end of the treatment process, organic by-products removed from our raw water are dewatered and returned for processing to maximize our available water sources.
- Our Residuals Processing Facility recycles dry organic by-products for other beneficial uses.
Our Service Area
- We deliver high-quality drinking water across an approximate 211-square-mile area that includes some portions of unincorporated Hillsborough County.
- Our distribution system has more than 2,230 miles of water mains that range in size from 2 to 54 inches in diameter and about 40,000 valves.
- We service and maintain more than 13,700 fire hydrants annually.