Risk Management / How to File a Claim
HOW TO FILE A LIABILITY CLAIM WITH THE CITY OF TAMPA
The City of Tampa is a self-insured public entity as defined under §768 F.S. The City’s Risk Management/Claims Office serves the city by maintaining insurance programs to protect the city from unexpected losses and by processing claims from citizens.
Steps for filing a claim with the City of Tampa:
- If you feel you have a legal basis for a claim against the City, you should first determine that the incident happened within city limits, or involved property owned by the City of Tampa. To determine if your incident happened within city limits, click here, enter the address in the search field, then click the arrow on the bottom right of the page to see the municipality. If the incident happened outside the City of Tampa, please contact that municipality.
- Complete a City of Tampa Citizen Claim Form and submit it to the City of Tampa Risk Management/Claims Office along with supporting documentation. You can submit a claim form electronically here.
- Supporting documents include items such as invoices, estimates, photographs, or anything that supports the value of your claim and why you believe the city is at fault.
- Click here for additional information about automobile/vehicle liability claims.
- If you are filing an injury claim, you may be asked to complete additional forms.
- Await a Response. You will receive a confirmation number acknowledging your claim submission. A City of Tampa Claims Investigator will be assigned to your claim within 24-48 hours of receipt of your claim form. The claims investigator will conduct a thorough investigation, which may include contacting you for further information. Upon completion of the investigation, you will be notified of the outcome in writing.
If you have any questions, you may contact us at:
City of Tampa
Risk Management / Claims
306 East Jackson Street
Tampa, Florida 33602
Tel.: (813) 274-5708
Fax: (813) 274-5728
Our hours of operation are: 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday
*If your claim is related to real property or automobile liability, the claim form must be completed by the legal owner.
PUBLIC RECORDS NOTICE: All e-mail sent to and received from the City of Tampa, Florida, including e-mail addresses and content, are subject to the provisions of the Florida Public Records Law, Florida Statute Chapter 119, and may be subject to disclosure. It is recommended that you mail or fax any documents that include personal information.